Medical & Engineering Universities in Pakistan sell their admission forms and prospectus to thousands of students who want to appear in the entry tests. These forms are being sold at a average cost of Rs.3000 which has become a huge source of revenue for these universities.
NED University generated revenue of Rs. 1.45 crore from selling of admission forms at a cost of Rs. 3,500, Sir Syed University of Engineering & Technology (SSUET) which is selling the prospectus at Rs. 3000 earned 1.4 crore Rupees. Almost all universities whether private or government are earning millions through these forms.
Students of Intermediate (Pre-Engineering & Pre-Medical) usually apply in more than one universities because there are only limited seats in each university. This increases the burden on students from middle & lower class who have to pay thousands of rupees just for admission forms.
The prices of admission forms in different universities are as follows:
- In DOW Medical University, Jinnah Sindh Medical University, Lyari Medical College and Liaquat University Medical & Health Sciences NTS & Admission form costs Rs. 3,600.
- Jinnah Medical & Dental University Admission form is being sold at Rs. 3,500.
- Baqai Medical University is charging Rs. 4,000 for admission form.
- In Bahria College the form is available at Rs. 2,000.
- Jinnah University for Women is charging Rs. 1000
- United Medical & Dental College is also selling the prospectus for Rs. 3,000.
This problem is not only faced by the students of Karachi but students from other cities such as Hyderabad, Lahore & Peshawar are also facing it.