Over the years, construction sites in Pakistan have witnessed fatal accidents, which have, in several cases, led to fatal outcomes. These accidents occur due to a lack of safety measures. Here are safety rules that should be implemented to prevent accidents.
Construction Workers’ Safety Workers should be familiarized with potential fall hazards on a site; it must be made mandatory that they inspect the equipment, such as lifeline ropes, before using them. Their attire must include protective helmets and glasses, steel boots, reflective vests and gloves to minimize injuries.
1. Equipment (including ladders, machinery, platforms, pulleys and scaffolding) must be of sound quality.
2. Construction sites should have a fall-guard system in place; this includes guardrails, safety nets with ropes and toe-boards (vertical barriers that are attached to raised platforms such as roofs).
3. Screens or canopies should be installed over holes to prevent people from falling into them.
4. Temporary rails and scaffolding barriers must be installed around elevator shafts and stairwells.
5. Platforms must not be overloaded In order to ensure workers’ safety.
Any site that Is less than 15 feet away from a public space (such as a primary thoroughfare) must be clearly marked and well-Ilt to indicate that construction work is taking place there.
Construction material, machinery, tools and debris should not be left on a public street without prior written permission from the relevant authorities. If permission is granted, it must be removed within seven days after work has been completed.
By Uzma Khateeb Nawaz. Information collected from sbca.gos.pk