Price for different types of roti such as Naan, Chapati, Sheermal, Kulcha & Taftan have been increased in Karachi after the hike in gas prices by new government.
As the prices of gas were increased for all areas of Pakistan, the change in rates of roti is also expected to occur in other cities including Lahore, Rawalpindi, Quetta, Peshawar & Islamabad.
So far increase of Rs. 2 or Rs. 3 has been observed in the price of roti, chapatti and taftan:
- Chapati is now available at Rs. 9 & 10, previously it was being sold at Rs. 7 or Rs. 8.
- Tandoori naan is now being sold at Rs. 12, previously it was available at Rs. 10.
- Taftan is available at Rs. 35, previously it was sold at Rs. 30 or Rs. 32.
At least 50% of tandoor owners, sheermal houses, hotels & restaurants have increased the rates though they have not received the new bill yet, while others are waiting for the new bills to charge customers new rates as per the new cost.
Like any other market it is expected that some tandoor owners will keep the same price but will be forced to reduce the weight of the roti. According to a roti owner the weight of different types of roti should be as follows:
- Naan should weight between 170 – 180 grams
- Chapati should weigh between 150 g and 160 g
- Sheermal should weigh 250 grams
Though gas prices are the main reason for changes in the price but it is not the only cause. In past years the inflation has also cause problems for the tandoor owners along with the increased prices of other products.
- Polythene bags, prices increased from Rs. 175/kg to Rs. 275/kg in last five years.
- Newspaper stocks, price increased from Rs. 40 to Rs. 55 in last five years.
- 25kg bag of full-cream milk powder, price increased from Rs 5,000 to Rs 9,000 in 5 years.
- In the last few days the price of flour bag of 50 kg has also increased by Rupees 60.
The prices for naan & chapatti have been increased after 4 years, while the prices for sheermal & taftaan have been increased after 3 years.