Karachi Urban Transport Corporation (KUTC) has said that donors have approved the resettlement plan for those people who will be affected by the resumption of the Karachi Circular Railway project.
Pakistan Railways will provide approximately 300 acres near Jumma Goth (near Cattle Colony and Shah Latif Town) where more than 4650 families will be settled who are currently living on the KCR route.
Each family will be given 80-square-yard plot and will also receive 50000 rupees.
The total cost of the KCR project will be around $1.6 billion (128 billion rupees).
The Japanese International Cooperation Agency (JICA) is providing over 93.5 per cent ($1.5 billion) while the remaining 6.5 per cent (roughly $101 million) is to be provided by the Sindh and the city governments.
It is expected that the Project will start in the second quarter of 2012 and it will take almost three years to complete.
The project will have 44-kilometre-long dual track and it would have 24 stations. The system would require 120 megawatts for running the trains.
Each train would have six cars and could transport approximately 1400 passengers. Time gap between two trains would be six minutes and would be operating between 6am and midnight.
Roughly 700,000 passengers would be traveling daily through this system, though it could handle around two million commuters.
Fare would be Rs15 and Rs0.50 per additional kilometre with the maximum fare for the entire round would be around Rs25.