A heatwave is expected in many parts of Pakistan during the second week of May 2023.
Dealing with a heatwave in Pakistan can be challenging, especially since temperatures during such periods can reach dangerous levels.
Try these helpful tips to help you stay safe and healthy during a heatwave:
1. Stay Hydrated: Drink plenty of water and fluids such as lemonade and lassi. It’s best to avoid sugary drinks, alcohol, and caffeine, as they can cause dehydration.
2. Dress Appropriately: To protect yourself from the sun’s harmful rays, it’s best to wear clothing that is lightweight, loose-fitting, and light-colored. Cover as much skin as possible, and consider wearing a hat and sunglasses.
3. Stay Indoors: Remain indoors during the hottest periods, usually between 11 am and 4 pm. If you need to go outside, stay in the shade and avoid direct sunlight.
4. Use Fans and Air Conditioning: To keep your home or workspace cool, you can use fans or air conditioning. In the absence of air conditioning, you may consider using damp towels or taking a refreshing shower to reduce your body temperature.
5. Limit Outdoor Activities: During a heatwave, limiting outdoor activities such as exercise or sports is best. Alternatively, you can do them when the temperature is cooler.
6. Check on Vulnerable People: Check on elderly, sick, or vulnerable people, such as children or those with chronic illnesses, to ensure they are coping well with the heat.
7. Eat Light and Fresh Food: Eat light and fresh meals, such as salads, fruits, and vegetables. Avoid heavy and spicy meals that can increase body heat and cause dehydration.
8. Be Prepared: Keep emergency supplies, such as water, a first aid kit, and extra batteries.
9. Stay Informed: Keep updated with weather forecasts and heat alerts to stay informed about the current heatwave situation.
Stay safe against the hazards of a heatwave by using these tips while staying comfortable and healthy throughout this testing time.