CPLC have released the statistics of stolen cars and motorcycles for the first 6 months of 2018. According to the data more motorcycles have been stolen in 2018 in comparison with the same period in 2017.
The daily figures of bike stealing and snatching in Karachi for the past few years has been:
- In 2018 each day 73.02 bikes were stolen
- in 2017 each day 71.36 bikes were stolen
- in 2016 each day 67.35 bikes were stolen
- in 2015 each day 58.04 bikes were stolen
- in 2014 each day 62.05 bikes were stolen
- in 2013 each day 63.02 bikes were stolen
SSP APLC said that from these motorcycles 93% were stolen while 7% were snatched.
On one hand the stealing of bikes became more frequent while on the other hand CPLC became successful in reducing car stealing throughout the metropolitan city. The daily figure for car stealing has been:
- In 2018 each day 3.79 cars were stolen
- In 2017 each day 3.87 cars were stolen
- In 2016 each day 4.81 cars were stolen
- In 2015 each day 5.90 cars were stolen
- In 2014 each day 10.61 cars were stolen
- In 2013 each day 12.21 cars were stolen
CPLC have succeeded in reducing car snatching and will also launch a new crackdown on the groups involved in stealing bikes. SSP CPLC also revealed a new programme for awareness of people to reduce the crime rate.