“Educational Institutions are exemplary learning academies for any society, but if they become the reflections of all evils happening in the society, then students will be persistent to commit crimes” said Dr Abdul Wahab while chairing a panel discussion on “Pakistan’s education system and its ideal student”, organized by AFAQ – Association For Academic Quality at Faran Club.
The event was attended by many prominent scholars and intellectuals, and the prime objective was to come up with some sensible thoughts which could be enough to filter the corruption from Pakistan’s education system and give a proper definition of its ideal student. Throughout the discussion the panelists who contributed were President Muhammad Ali Jinnah University – Dr. Abdul Wahab, chairman Mass Communication department, University of Karachi – Dr. Tahir Masood, prominent scholar and director The Ilm Foundation – Dr. Shuja Uddin Sheikh, Assistant Professor Education dept, Urdu University – Dr. Maroof Bin Rauf, Editor Ma’arif Research Journal – Dr. Ishaq Mansoori, Chairman Asian Forum Mr. Tariq Shadab, Regional Head AFAQ Karachi East – Mr. Athar Pasha and Ambassador Harvard Project of Asian & International Relations – Mr. Ahsan Umar.
During the discussion there were many points raised by the panelists, few of them are mentioned below.
- There isn’t any specific education system exists in our country.
- The only reason of this westernized education system is to excel in English language.
- Our students are far away from the history, they know the names of 10 film heroes, but the names of their Islamic heroes and those who took part in Pakistan movement.
- Corruption is the basic root problem of our country, people must believe that now if a secular mindset acts on Islamic teachings, then he is a true Muslim, not the one who only takes the name of Islam.
- Not having uniformity in our education system, promotes division and classification in our system further etc.
The overall discussion was concluded by the Master of Ceremony Mr. Mehmood ul Haque Siddiqui.
By Ahsan Umar – The author is the Host of a radio show “From the Campus” on Fm93, Conference Ambassador at Harvard Project of Asian and International Relations – HPAIR2014, and tweets as @ahsanumartv.