Mufti Taqi Usmani is a renowned Islamic Scholar who is known for his work in Fiqh, Hadith, Islamic Finance, Spirituality and Quranic explanation. This Hadith will reveal details of his life from birth to his professional work as a judge and scholar.
It was his numerous work including lectures around the world, numerous books, research papers and influence that he was declared the most influential Muslim in the world by ‘The Muslim 500’.
Maulana Taqi Usmani was born in the city of Deoband which is located in Saharanpur district, UP, India on 3 October 1943. His father Mufti Muhammad Shafi was a renowned scholar in the city who named him Muhammad Taqi, he was the fifth and youngest son of the family.
In 1947 British divided the subcontinent and Pakistan emerged as a Muslim country and in 1948 his father migrated from Deoband to Karachi along with the family, when Mufti Taqi was just 5 years old.
His brothers include Muhammad Rafi Usmani, a famous scholar and author of many books in Urdu & Arabic. He is the current President of Darul Uloom Karachi.
His father started his early education in home until 1950 when Mufti Shafi founded Darul Uloom Karachi where he was also enrolled to continue his studies. He pursued Dars-i-Nizami, in 1958 he passed the Fazil-i Arabi (Punjab Board) and then 1959 completed his Alimiyyah degree.
After this he started his specialization and completed his degree on Fiqh (Islamic jurisprudence) in 1961, becoming a Mufti.
This was not the end of his educational studies as he then opted admission in Karachi University from he did Bachelors in Economics and politics (1964), LLB in 1967 and then completed his Masters Arabic language & literature from the University of Punjab.
Mufti Taqi Usmani is the Vice President of Jamia Darul Uloom which is considered one of the most reputed educational Institution for Islamic studies in Pakistan.
He served as Judge of the Shariat Appellate Bench of the Supreme Court (1982-2002) and then for the Federal Shariat Court (1981-1982).
He also served as and still serves in Shariah Boards of different Islamic banks and institutions. He is also part of Hira Foundation School’s board of management.
His age is 76 but despite this he gives regular sermons (Khutbay) on Friday and other days which are regularly updated on his official website.
Maulana Mufti Usmani is also known for his role in the emergence and rise of Islamic banking sector in Pakistan. Currently is chairman and part of Shariah boards for different Islamic Banks in Pakistan and other countries such as:
- Chairman Shariah Board, Central Bank of Bahrain
- Chairman Shariah Board, Swiss Re-Takaful, Switzerland
- Chairman Shariah Board, Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank, U.A.E.
- Chairman Shariah Board, Dubai Bank, Dubai
- Chairman Shariah Board, International Islamic Rating Agency, Bahrain
- Member Shariah Board, Arcapita Bank, Bahrain
- Chairman Shariah Board, Meezan Bank Ltd., Karachi, Pakistan
- Chairman Shariah Board, Bank Islami, Karachi
- Chairman Shariah Board, Pak-Kuwait Takaful, Karachi
- Chairman Shariah Board, Pak-Qatar Takaful, Karachi
- Chairman Shariah Board, JS Investments Islamic Fund, Karachi
- Chairman Shariah Board, JS Islamic Pension Savings Fund
- Chairman Shariah Board, Arif Habib Investments – Pakistan International Element Islamic Fund, Karachi
- Member Shariah Board, Islamic Corporation for the Development of the Private Sector (ICD), IDB Jeddah
- Member Shariah Board, Guidance Financial Group, USA
Due to his books and services to Islamic sciences he received multiple awards including:
- Emir Muhammad bin Rashid Al Maktoum Award by UAE Vice President & Prime Minister Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
- Wisam al-Istiqlal Award by King of Jordan
- King Abdullah II Award
- Prize in Islamic Banking and Finance by Islamic Development Bank (IDB)
- Lifetime Achievement Award by Islamic Finance Forum of South Asia (IFFSA)
- Islamic Finance Excellence Awards (IFEA) by COMSATS Institute of Information Technology
- Sitara-i Imtiaz by President of Pakistan
Mufti Taqi Usmani Sahab authored more than 80 books in different languages including Arabic, English and Urdu which includes the popular translation of Quran (Aasan) and detailed tafseer, six volume Arabic Hadith commentary on Sahih Muslim.
He is also the Chief Editor of monthly magazine ‘Albalagh’ which is published in Urdu and English languages. He also writes articles in leading Pakistani newspapers on different issues.
His fatwas (legal verdicts) were also published and are available in 4 volumes ranging on different issues. Some of his books include:
- Aasan Tarjuma Quran
- An Approach to the Quranic Sciences (Uloomul Qurna)
- Fiqh al-Buyu 2 Volume Set By Mufti Taqi Usmani
- Islam And Politics: A translation of Islam aur Siyasi Nazariyat
- Financial Crisis – From an Islamic Perspective
- Discourses on Islamic way of Life (6 Volumes)
- The Sanctity of Human Life in the Quran and Sunnah
- A Successful Believer
- Self Management
- The Legal Status of Following a Madhab
- Fatawa Usmani (4 Volumes)
- Dars-e-Tirmidhi (3 Volumes)
- The Historic Judgment on Interest
- The Issue Of Interest
- Easy Good Deeds (Aasan Nakiyan)
- Preserving the Deen
- Divine Gifts
- Resisting the Evils In Society
- An Outlook on Life
- Solutions to Domestic Conflicts
- In the Footsteps of the Beloved (PBUH)
- Hamara Muashi Nizam (Our Economic System)
- The Political Thoughts of Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanwi (Hakeemul Ummat Kay Siasi Afkar)
- Seerat-un-Nabi s.a.w Aur Hamari Zindagi
- Islam aur Hamari Zindagi (10 Volumes)
- A Call to Allah
- A Guide to Perfection
- The Authority of Sunnah
- Islam in Today’s World
- Resisting the Evils in Society
- An Introduction to Islamic Finance
- The View of the Ummah on Qadiyanism
- Deen Kya Hai?
- Islam and Modernism (Islam aur Jidat Pasandi)
- Educational System
- Mu’asharti Huqooqq O Fara’iz
- Nafs Ki Kashmakash
- Namoos-e-Risalat Ki Hifazat Kijiyay
- Parosion K Huqooq
- PLS Account Ki Haqeeqat
- Prize Bond Ki Sharee Haseeat
- Qatal Aur Khana Jangi
- Rahat Kis Tarah Hasil Ho
- Ramadan Kis Tarah Guzaarein
- Rizqq Ka Sahih Istemaal
- Roza Hum Say Kia Mutalba Kerta Hai
- Sahafat (Article)
- Soodi Nizam Ki Kharabiyan Aur Uss Ka Mutabadil
- Taqdeer Per Raazi Rehna Chahiye
- Tawakkul K Ahmiyat
- Tawakkul Ki Haqeeqat
- Waldain Ki Khidmat – Jannat Ka Zariya
An assassination attempt was also made on Mufti Taqi Usmani in Karachi on March 22, 2019 in which Sanober Khan, his security guard and Maulana Amir Shahabuddin, a scholar accompanying him was killed.