Islamic republic of Pakistan is situated in south side of Asia therefore, it is considered as part of South Asia. Pakistan is located between latitude of 23.35 to 37.50 north and extends from longitude 60.50 to 77.50 easts. The total area of Pakistan is 7, 96,096 square kilometers. Pakistan consists of four provinces.
- India lies in the east of Pakistan having boundary of 1610 km.
- In the south, there is Arabian Sea forming a coastal area about 700 km.
- In the south-west of Pakistan Iran is located having common boundary of 800 km.
- In the north-west of Pakistan Afghanistan is located having common boundary of 2252 km.
A small strip of Afghan territory Wakhan separates Pakistan from Tajikistan. Pakistan enjoys a great political and economical location in the map of South Asia.
- Trade root: The Karakoram highway connects China to Pakistan by land. This highway has been constructed cutting the rocks of Karakoram. Pakistan has friendly close relations with China.
- Transit route Afghanistan: Pakistan provide transit route to Afghanistan for trade by land and sea.
- Relations with Muslim countries: India lies in the east of Pakistan and in the east of India there are the Muslim countries of Malaysia, Bangladesh, Indonesia, and Brunei Darussalam. Pakistan has good friendly relations with these countries.
- Relations with Iran: Iran is on the south-west of Pakistan. Iran Turkey along with Pakistan is the members of ECO (Economic Co-operation Organization). This organization develops friendly relation with these countries.
- Relation with Gulf Countries: Pakistan is situated near oil producing countries. The industrial development of these countries depends on oil produced by gulf countries, which is transported to them by sea. Karachi is an important harbor on Arabian Sea.
- International Seaport and Airport: Karachi is an important seaport and airport. It connects Europe with Asia. All those countries, which want to be linked with Middle East and central Asia, cannot ignore the location of Pakistan.
- Center of Ancient civilization: Indus Valley and Gandhara are the center of ancient civilization and have importance in the point of view of Tourism. The tourist love to visit the valley of Swat, Kaghan and northern areas of Pakistan.
- Projects: Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Turkmenistan have singed a protocol on the supply of gas through pipelines, passing through Afghanistan to Pakistan. Therefore, this project will develop friendly relations between these countries and help in the development.
Kashmir Dispute: Kashmir is still an issue between Pakistan and India. If this issue will be resolved, peace will be established and good relations will help to the development and will get rid from poverty. Atomic Nation: Pakistan is the 7th Atomic nation of the world and enjoys a high standard in Muslim world. Pakistan has also become Center for foreign Investment.
By Rohab Zahid. The writer is a student of 9th class.