Karachi: Karachi Zoo was created in 1878, previously known as the “Mahatma Gandhi Garden”; the zoo was renamed as ‘Karachi Zoological Gardens’ or ‘Karachi Zoo’ in 1953. The zoo is known for its elephant house, currently attracting people through two female Tanzanian born African bush elephants. These elephants were brought to zoo in 2010 after the death of a 65-year –old Asian elephant, “Anarkali”.
The white lions, bought in 2012, manage to amaze the young minds as well. The Natural History Museum contains skins, antlers, horns and feathers of animals that is often visited by Zoology students. The reptile house, renovated in 1992, contains 13 species of snakes and lizards and newly born testudines and crocodilians.
In an attempt to exhibit diverse species, the zoo included a Martial Eagle, a pair of each miniature horses and owls, python, and different types of birds and fishes as well. A budget of Rs 1.5 million was spent under the supervision of the Karachi metropolitan Corporation Administrator Muhammad Hussain Syed.
Mughal Gardens is also an attracting feature that has a Mughal style fountains. Recently, a flower show was also held at the Karachi Zoo, inaugurated by Sindh Chief Minister Qaim Ali Shah, which was a pleasant event for the people of Karachi, especially women.
On this event, Director CSR Rehan Khan informed that the food, medicine of animals and other maintenance works were being looked after under KMC. Karachi zoo lost its reputation earlier on account of neglectful administration that lost many animals. But it is gradually redeeming its status and still needs a huge effort to bring it to International standards.