The Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre (J.P.M.C) most commonly known as Jinnah Hospital Karachi is one of the biggest public sector hospitals of Karachi. From OPD to emergency service, more than one million visit the hospital each year.
History of Jinnah Hospital:
The services of Jinnah Hospital dates back to 1930 when it started as Medical Corps Hospital for treatment of military personals. Later it was renamed as British General Hospital but remained exclusive for forces of British occupation.
After independence it was renamed to Jinnah Central Hospital (JCH) and was opened for general public for the first time. Later on many occasions it was expanded adding medical college and departments to the hospital.
Today Jinnah Hospital is one of the biggest hospital in Pakistan with 1185 beds and numerous clinical and non-clinical departments, which include:
- Basic Medical Sciences Institute (BMSI)
- Department of Accident & Emergency
- Department of Medicine & Hepatology and Gastroenterology
- Department of Clinical Oncology
- Department of Surgery
- Department of Radiology
- Department of Medicine & Clinical Toxicology
- Department of Medicine & Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism & Rheumatology
- Department of Neurology
- Department of Dermatology
- Department of Psychiatry & Behavioural Sciences
- Department of Neurosurgery
- Department of Medicine & Critical Care
- Department of Pulmonology
- Department of Nephrology
- Department of Orthopaedics, Trauma & Reconstructive Surgery
- Department of Plastic Surgery
- Department of Urology
- Department of Ophthalmology
- Department of Thoracic Surgery / Surgery Unit IV
- Department of Gynaecology and Obstetrics
- Department of Dentistry and Oral / Maxillofacial Surgery
- Department of Anaesthesiology
- Department of Clinical Pathology
- Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Blood Bank
- Central Pharmacy
There are many colleges and schools for nursing and other medical sciences attached with the hospital including:
- School of Nursing
- College of Nursing
- College of Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy
- Sindh Medical College
- Pakistan Medical Research Council
- Atomic Energy Medical Centre Institute of Medical Technology
The National institute of Child Health Karachi is also part of Jinnah Hospital previously a cardio hospital known as National institute of Cardiovascular Diseases was also the part of Jinnah Hospital.
The Accident & Emergency department is active 24 hours a day while the OPD services are available from 8 AM till 1 PM. Some services such as OPD for oncology department are available on selective days so it is better to contact the hospital for details before visiting the hospital.
Despite being a public sector hospital it provides state-of-the-art treatments such as The CyberKnife Robotic Radiosurgery & Treatment. It is the only hospital in Pakistan with this modern technology which is used for used to treat complicated neurosurgical cases.
Location & Map:
Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre (J.P.M.C) is located at a place which is accessible from parts of the city such as Mehmoodabad, Azam Basti, Jutland Lines & PECHS.
It is located on Sarwar Shaheed Road near Regent Plaza Hotel, being connected with Shahrah-e-Faisal makes it one of the most accessible hospitals for the people of Karachi.
Check this Google Map to know the exact location:
For OPD and other emergencies you contact the hospital at:
Address: Rafiqui Shaheed Road, Karachi, Sind, Pakistan
Phone Number: +92 (21) 9201300