The Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre (J.P.M.C) mostcommonly known as Jinnah Hospital Karachi is one of the biggest public sectorhospitals of Karachi. From OPD to emergency service, more than one millionvisit the hospital each year.
History of Jinnah Hospital:
The services of Jinnah Hospital dates back to 1930 when itstarted as Medical Corps Hospital for treatment of military personals. Later itwas renamed as British General Hospital but remained exclusive for forces ofBritish occupation.
After independence it was renamed to Jinnah Central Hospital(JCH) and was opened for general public for the first time. Later on manyoccasions it was expanded adding medical college and departments to thehospital.
Today Jinnah Hospital is one of the biggest hospital inPakistan with 1185 beds and numerous clinical and non-clinical departments,which include:
- Basic Medical SciencesInstitute (BMSI)
- Department of Accident& Emergency
- Department of Medicine& Hepatology and Gastroenterology
- Department of ClinicalOncology
- Department of Surgery
- Department of Radiology
- Department of Medicine& Clinical Toxicology
- Department of Medicine& Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism & Rheumatology
- Department of Neurology
- Department of Dermatology
- Department of Psychiatry& Behavioural Sciences
- Department of Neurosurgery
- Department of Medicine& Critical Care
- Department of Pulmonology
- Department of Nephrology
- Department of Orthopaedics,Trauma & Reconstructive Surgery
- Department of PlasticSurgery
- Department of Urology
- Department of Ophthalmology
- Department of ThoracicSurgery / Surgery Unit IV
- Department of Gynaecologyand Obstetrics
- Department of Dentistry andOral / Maxillofacial Surgery
- Department ofAnaesthesiology
- Department of ClinicalPathology
- Department of PhysicalMedicine and Rehabilitation
- Blood Bank
- Central Pharmacy
There are many colleges and schools for nursing and othermedical sciences attached with the hospital including:
- School of Nursing
- College of Nursing
- College of Physiotherapyand Occupational Therapy
- Sindh Medical College
- Pakistan Medical ResearchCouncil
- Atomic Energy Medical Centre Institute ofMedical Technology
The National institute of Child Health Karachi is also partof Jinnah Hospital previously a cardio hospital known as National institute of CardiovascularDiseases was also the part of Jinnah Hospital.
The Accident & Emergency department is active 24 hours aday while the OPD services are available from 8 AM till 1 PM. Some servicessuch as OPD for oncology department are available on selective days so it isbetter to contact the hospital for details before visiting the hospital.
Despite being a public sector hospital it providesstate-of-the-art treatments such as The CyberKnife Robotic Radiosurgery &Treatment. It is the only hospital in Pakistan with this modern technology whichis used for used to treat complicated neurosurgical cases.
Location & Map:
Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre (J.P.M.C) is located at aplace which is accessible from parts of the city such as Mehmoodabad, AzamBasti, Jutland Lines & PECHS.
It is located on Sarwar Shaheed Road near Regent PlazaHotel, being connected with Shahrah-e-Faisal makes it one of the mostaccessible hospitals for the people of Karachi.
Check this Google Map to know the exact location: