Ilma University was established in 2001 in the metropolitan city of Karachi as a private institute for higher studies. Initially it was named Institute of Business & Technology -IBT (BIZTEK) but later it was renamed as Ilma University.
It is recognized by Higher Education Commission of Pakistan (HEC) and is chartered by government of Sindh. But on many occasions HEC banned admissions in the university on the bases of mismanagement, illegal campuses or not meeting the HEC standards, later the ban was lifted.
Campuses of Ilma University:
In total there are four campuses of Ilma University including the main campus:
- Korangi Creek Main Campus, Main Ibrahim Hydri Road, Korangi Creek, Karachi. Phone: 021 35091872
- Gulshan Campus, B-257 block-5 Gulshan-e-Iqbal, Karachi. Phone: 021-34810810-11
- Aladdin Campus, Aladin Amusement Park, Gulshan-e-Iqbal, Karachi. Phone: 021-34161224-5
- Shahrah-e-Faisal EDC Campus, Plot A1, Block 7/8 PECHS Society, Main Shahrah-e-Faisal, Nursery, Karachi. Phone:021 – 34150631
To check the ranking of the university and other top universities of Pakistan you can visit the official website of HEC where universities are ranked by HEC. Currently only 2015 ranking report is available on the website in which Ilma University was ranked 52 in General category.
Students interested to take admission in the university are assessed before being accepted as students. The assessment is based on three parts:
- Previous Academic Performance = 20%
- Aptitude Test/ARC Test = 40%
- Interview = 40%
According to HEC requirement admissions are held twice a year for which all programmes offered in the university. The university believes in fair admission policy with no discrimination on the bases of colour, race, religion or gender.
Ilma University also believes that students, despite their financial background, should have the opportunity to complete their higher studies. This is why they offer scholarships for capable students.
During admission fee waiver is also given to Hafiz Quran students, children of government officials and Alumni and their referrals. Up to 50% scholarship is given to those students who got 71% or above in intermediate examination.