15 day cleanliness drive has begun in Karachi. The cleanliness drive scheduled to be carried out from 16th to 30th June. The campaign will be jointly conducted by the city government, town and union administrations, KWSB and other civic agencies and will also have full cooperation of the environment ministry.
For this purpose, the city had been divided into eight zones.
- Zone 1 includes North Nazimabad and New Karachi
- Zone 2 Shah Faisal, Korangi, Malir and Landhi
- Zone 3 Liaquatabad, Gulberg and Gulshan Iqbal
- Zone 4 SITE and Orangi
- Zone 5 Keamari and Baldia;
- Zone 6 Saddar, Lyari and Jamshed towns
- Zone 7 Bin Qasim Town
- Zone 8 Gadap Town
Karachi produced 9 to 10 tonnes of garbage on a daily basis. Civic bodies of Karachi had only 28 to 30 per cent capacity to carry out the work. A big portion of garbage is not transferred to landfill sites,
According to Sindh Minister for Environment Sheikh Mohammad Afzal 20 billion rupees is required annually for proper and safe disposal of garbage and waste in order to keep the city clean.